Summerfast 5km 2021 is a BC Athletics sanctioned race.
The 2021 Summerfast 5km is being conducted as a voluntary research study conducted by Sabrina Wong, RN, PhD from The University of British Columbia in collaboration with the Vancouver Falcons Athletic Club (VFAC). This study investigates a self-test for detecting COVID-19. The study will help determine the safest and most efficient way of testing people participating in a large outdoor event. Your participation in this 5km race is voluntary. You have the right to refuse to participate in this study. By choosing to register in the 2021 Summerfast 5km race, you are giving your implicit agreement to participate in this study. (More details below)
This collaboration between VFAC and Sabrina Wong’s UBC research study will provide Summerfast 5km race participants with the knowledge and peace-of-mind that they are participating in a large outdoor event where all other participants and race volunteers are expected to have taken the Lucira COVID-19 self-test and shown a negative test result.
When and Where?
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2021
Race Start: 8:45 am
Location: University of British Columbia
Package Pick-Up: Friday, September 17th, 3 – 6 PM & Saturday, September 18th, 12 – 5 PM at Forerunners and on race day at the start line.
3889 Main Street
Vancouver, BC, V5V 3P1
- Race timing is being provided by Startline Timing. Results will be available online shortly after the race.
- A complimentary bag check will be located near the start/finish area. Please ensure your bag is clearly marked with your race number.
- Water provided at the start/finish.
- On site First Aid services.
- Join us for post-race for delicious baked goods prepared and packaged in advance in accordance with Covid safety guidelines.
University of British Columbia Facilities
- Washrooms available in Thunderbird Stadium.
Details of the COVID-19 Self-Test Research Study:
What is the purpose? The goals of this study are:
- To detect COVID-19
- Evaluate the LUCIRA COVID-19 test
- Learn about COVID-19 selt-test programs and inform future testing programs
- Collect feedback from study participants about the LUCIRA test.
What does the 2021 Summerfast 5km study involve? It involves:
- Self-administering the LUCIRA COVID-19 self-test (30 minutes)
- Completing a user experience survey.
Who is eligible:
- Male or female over 14 years of age (self-administered)
- No COVID-19 diagnosis in the past 90 days
- Able to give written informed consent
Where do I get the LUCIRA test? You will be provided a test, free of charge, at race package pickup. You can complete the test at home. Read more about the LUCIRA COVID-19 Test.
What if I need to get my race package the day of the race? Come early! We’ll see you at 7:30 am on Sept. 19th.
What if my test is positive? Your race entry can be rolled over until 2022.
How will race organizers know my result? When you check in to Summerfast 5km 2021, you will show Sabrina Wong your photo result.